BLACK HISTORY IS AMERICAN HISTORY
In celebration and recognition of Black History Month, our team engaged in four weeks of intentional work that included resource review, courageous conversation, and action-oriented steps toward becoming more effective allies for the Black community – NOW + always. We remain committed to building and fostering an inclusive community, and humbly recognize the important learning and hard work ahead of us.
We have compiled some of the team’s favorites below and are excited to share these powerful pieces and voices with our community at-large.
WATCHING / LISTENING
- The Difference Between Being “Not Racist” and Antiracist, TEDTalk by Ibram X. Kendi
- The Emotional Cost Of Being A Black Woman In America, TEDxBloomington by Monica Johnson
- The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson, Available on Netflix
- Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am, Available on Hulu
- Code Switch, Podcast on NPR
- Welcome to the Anti-Racist Movement – Here’s What You’ve Missed, by Ijeoma Oluo
- Heads of the Colored People: Stories, by Nafissa Thompson-Spires
- The Yellow House: A Memoir, by Sarah M. Broom
- Angela Manuel-Davis, AARMY Co-Founder, Nike Athlete, Fitness Evangelist, Speaker
- Taylor Rae Almonte, Co-Founder of ACTIV-ISM, Reebok Athlete, Trainer
- Chrissy King, Writer, speaker, creator of #BodyLiberationProject
- DeAndre Joseph, Yoga, meditation, sharing teaching on how to be a mindful human
- Dr. Akilah Cadet, Host of Change Cadet Podcast, lululemon Ambassador, CCO Represent Collaborative
- TRILLFIT, Fitness Studio with classes ranging from Cardio Dance to Sculpt located in Mission Hill + virtually
- Hive Soul Yoga, Community yoga for collective healing based in Boston with virtual class offerings
- InnerCity Weightlifting, Personal Training located in Dorchester, Kendall Square + virtually
- House Of Art And Craft, Boston-Based Handmade Scented Goods Pop-Up Shop
- Le Bon Jour, Cape Cod Local Eatery
- Brown And Coconut, Boston-Based Skincare Company
- TRILLFIT PLEDGE: Join TRILLFIT’S Pledge for Racial Justice, Anti-Racism, and Equality in the Wellness Industry
- Anti-Racism Daily: Daily, free newsletters pairing current events with historical context and personal reflections on how racism persists in the U.S. and around the world
- The Ally Nudge: For 1 month, this program will help you continue doing the work to be an ally to the Black community, all via text. Begins Sunday, February 28 and costs $5 to join!
We hope you enjoy these resources as much as we do. Continuous learning is key to igniting change beyond B/SPOKE and throughout the wellness industry. We appreciate your support!